What To Do If Your Pet Eats Chocolate: First Aid And Treatment - Wagr Petcare

    What To Do If Your Pet Eats Chocolate: First Aid And Treatment

    pets eating chocolate

    Chocolate contains several substances like theobromine and caffeine that, while safe for humans, can be extremely toxic and potentially fatal to cats and dogs if ingested. Knowing the signs of chocolate poisoning and how to properly respond can make all the difference in saving your pet's life should an exposure occur. This detailed guide covers symptoms, treatment, and first aid for chocolate ingestion in pets.


    Signs of Chocolate Poisoning


    The most common early symptoms of toxic chocolate ingestion in dogs and cats include:

    • Vomiting which may be followed by dry heaving
    • Profuse diarrhoea
    • Excessive thirst and increased urination
    • Panting
    • Hyperactivity, excitability, and agitation
    • Tremors and muscle twitching

    As larger doses of chocolate are absorbed, more serious signs begin emerging:

    • Irregular heart rate and rhythm
    • Restlessness shifting to utter agitation
    • Heavy panting progressing to respiratory distress
    • Worsening tremors turning into seizures
    • Elevated body temperature and fever
    • Abnormal increase or decrease in blood pressure
    • Potential coma and death in severe cases

    Darker chocolates with higher cocoa content tend to cause more severe signs, even when ingested in small amounts. Milk and white chocolate are less toxic. But all chocolate contains risks, especially relative to the pet's size. Even small ingestions warrant concern and monitoring.


    First Aid Steps for Chocolate Poisoning


    Timing is critical when dealing with a potential chocolate poisoning. Rapid action significantly improves outcomes:

    1. If ingestion was recent (within 2 hours), call your vet immediately to ask if inducing vomiting is recommended based on chocolate type, estimated amount eaten, pet size, and current symptoms.


    2. If advised, give 3% hydrogen peroxide to make your pet vomit. Dosage is typically 1 teaspoon per 2kgs of body weight given no more than 2-3 times spaced 15 minutes apart. Always ask your vet before giving anything to your pets to induce vomiting.ย 


    3. Rush your pet to emergency veterinary care right away, regardless of inducing vomiting. Call during transport to alert them.


    4. At the vet, they can assess severity, provide IV fluids to prevent dehydration, use medications to counteract toxins and control cardiac and neurological symptoms, and monitor for complications like kidney damage.


    5. While waiting for vet care, provide first aid like wrapping conscious/alert pets in cool towels to counteract temperature elevation. Give small sips of tepid water if safe to swallow and the pet is not vomiting.


    6. Monitor symptoms closely including excessive panting, seizure activity, vomiting/diarrhoea, energy level changes, and loss of coordination. Update the veterinary team during care.


    7. Once stable, your vet will advise on any restrictions on food, activity, and chocolate access during recovery. Follow all at-home care instructions closely after treatment. Prompt veterinary decontamination provides the best prognosis after chocolate poisoning.


    Stay Alert Year-Round


    Be vigilant about keeping all chocolate safely away from pets. Holidays like Easter and Valentine's Day pose heightened risks, but accidental ingestion can happen anytime. If you know or suspect your pet has eaten chocolate, contact your vet immediately and prepare to visit emergency services even based on small exposures. Your rapid response makes all the difference in protecting your pet's health and safety.

    Back to blog

    Leave a comment

    Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

    You May Also Like

    1 of 4

    View All Articles